Saturday, April 6, 2013

A Fellow Adventurer

Outside the sky is gray and a gusty spring rain is falling. A good day to read a book!

I thought I'd start out this blog by sharing a poem I wrote a little over a year ago. Essentially it's my ode to adventure stories. The authors I refer to include Henryk Sienkiewicz, J.R.R. Tolkien, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Jules Verne, Alexandre Dumas, Robert Louis Stevenson, and Baroness Emmuska Orczy. So, here goes...and welcome aboard, fellow adventurers!


A Prose Poem
By Mary Jessica Woods

Some say that books are “their escape”.
I tend to disagree.
A good book's not a paradise,
Or relaxation spree.
When I pick up a book, do I
Just sit back and enjoy?
No! I'm a fellow adventurer!
Sharing both sorrows and joys.
By Robin Hood's side I crouch and hide,
As he calls to his merry men,
And behind Prince Yeremi I thunder and ride,
Trailing Tartars through steppe and glen.
I weep with the whole of Valinor,
As the elves at the Kinslaying fall,
And chant old riddles with Bilbo,
An untimely end to forestall.
With Sherlock Holmes I observe the world,
A detective's trade to learn,
And with Phileas Fogg I travel it,
Making time at every turn.
The Count of Monte Cristo stands
Aloof in vengeful thought,
I follow the workings of his plans,
The good and the evil they brought.

On Captain Nemo's Nautilus,
I sail 'neath storm-tossed waves,
I set first foot on Lincoln Isle,
And sleep in a granite cave.
With David I tramp 'cross Scotland, keeping
Just one step ahead of the chase,
And with Sir Percy outwit Chauvelin
To vanish without a trace.
So whether in Paris or Baker Street,
Or Middle-earth or Rome,
I always manage to find a place
And a friend with whom to roam!
By Robin Hood's side I crouch and hide,
As he calls to his merry men,
And behind Prince Yeremi I thunder and ride,
Trailing Tartars through steppe and glen!


No comments:

Post a Comment